This post covers some brief takeaways from the RPI February 2020 webinar presented by Alexander Lovell, Director of the O.C. Tanner Institute.
1. Focus on talent magnets
Modern employees can research your organization online via platforms such as Glassdoor. Because of this, Lovell stressed the importance of organizations having “talent magnets.” These include possessing great leadership, a defined purpose, clear opportunities for growth, success, employee appreciation and a focus on wellbeing. He stated that these are all things that attract top talent to your organization when achieved well.
- Companies with these factors are 4 times more likely to have engaged employees.
- They are also 7 times more likely to have employees who innovate.
2. Consider any burnout in your organization
According to Lovell, burnout is an issue that cannot be ignored. In fact, in May 2019, the World Health Organization classified burnout as a serious syndrome tied to workplace stress. Lovell said to watch out for a few indicators of burnout in your employees: exhaustion, futility or cynicism, and avoidance of workplace activities and culture.
- Organizations that make it a goal to provide regular positive experiences to their employees are 13 times more likely to have engaged employees.
3. Old leadership methods are dead
Lovell stated that old ways of leadership are not effective anymore. No longer can leaders expect success by gatekeeping, directing and evaluating. Leaders today need to act as mentors to their employees, help them develop professionally and make professional connections. Regular one-on-one meetings with employees are a crucial aspect of modern leadership as they give you the opportunity to check in with employees and see how you can best support them.
- 33% of employees dread meeting with their leaders
- One-on-one meetings should happen monthly at the very least
- These meetings have shown an 84% reduction in burnout
RPI Practitioner members and Business Partners get complimentary access to this webinar on-demand in the Learning Center along with 50+ other webinars and assets to drive your recognition strategy.
Read more about RPI's 7 Best Practice Standards® here.
Register for upcoming webinars here.