Note: RPI’s Seven Best Practice Standards are the cornerstone of successful employee recognition and rewards programs. In 2018, we are taking a closer look at each of the seven standards and RPI members who have been recognized for their practice of those standards. In the first installment, we take a look at Recognition Strategy, and the award-winning way that BAE Systems practices this standard. The RPI Best Practice Awards are now open for nominations through February 1, 2018.
BAE Systems, based in Arlington, Virginia, was a recipient of three Best in Class awards:
- Standard 1- Recognition Strategy
- Standard 4 - Communication Plan
- Standard 7 - Program Change and Flexibility
BAE Systems takes pride in its recognition strategy programs. From their award-winning entry, they offer several samples of the ideas and actions behind their recognition strategy efforts.
Employees at BAE Systems participate in IMPACT, a company-wide program to recognize and reward employee accomplishments. It is tied to the company’s Total Performance culture and their company values: trusted, innovative and bold. IMPACT’s goal is to make it easy to recognize employees for making an impact on their business.
They measure day-to-day recognition through the IMPACT program. The company’s non-monetary “Rave” award is a special thank you for employees who take on additional responsibilities to help another employee.
Informal recognition is also measured through the IMPACT system via the Pioneer award, which rewards those who have contributed to a team or project or other achievement in a way that aligns to the company’s aforementioned core values. Pioneer awards range in value from $25 to $250 and are based on business-related criteria. The company also offers informal recognition via service anniversaries, birthdays and celebrations like company picnics.
BAE Systems also supports a robust formal recognition program, offering three possible rewards:
- Pathfinder recipients lead or contribute to a project, program or achievement that aligns t the core values. These awards can range from $500 to $10,000 and are measured through IMPACT.
- Trailblazer recipients lead a team on a significant project or program with significance that aligns to the company’s core values. These awards can range from $10,000 to $50,000 and are measured through IMPACT.
- Chairman’s Awards are further broken down into three categories that recognize and celebrate the work of BAE Systems employees in:
- Business Leader Award
- Executive Committee Award
- Chairman’s Gold Award
The basis for all the awards is the core values that BAE Systems identifies and promotes. They seek employee behavior that is:
- Trusted to deliver on commitments
- Innovative in finding and turning ideas and technologies into solutions
- Bold in accepting new challenges and managing risk
The results have shown not only been award from RPI, but in celebration of their awards programs and strategy. For more information on BAE Systems, the Chairman’s Awards and their success with Recognition Strategy, please visit the company culture website at: https://www.baesystems.com/en/our-company/about-us